Letter to the Editor: Enforce beautification ordinances
To the Editor:I love Knoxville. I love the people here. and I think it's a great place to live. I take pride in our town and our home. But what ever happened to the city ordinance to keep grass mowed and at a certain height?
Letter to the Editor: Let them in
To the Editor:I read with interest the article regarding " COMPLAINTS MAY KEEP YOUTH OUT OF VSO'S ". What exactly were the complaints? Were 15/16 year olds drinking in these locations causing police officers to respond?
In the House of Wood
Sunday is Father’s Day and I hope all of you fathers out there have a good one.
- Summer -- 84 days and counting I love being a mom - 365 days a year - or nearly that many. Motherhood is a daily (and middle-of-the-nightly) event, but it's right around this time each year I find myself contemplating the value of my role in providing guidance, direction, leadersh
- Slices of Life: Tales of a field trip mom The end of the school year means one thing - besides backpacks sent home filled with crumpled spelling worksheets, artwork, pencil nubs and capless markers. I'm talking about field trips. These school-induced excursions usually involve rain, along wi
Ah, beautiful June in Iowa. Come drive with me. See beautiful land and wide spreading lawns. See our towns and cities with well-trimmed lawns. See the expanse of low-mowed lawn around large suburban homes. And the activity! Retired farmers happily ride their lawnmowers over lawns, grader ditches, and everything but the corn field. Well-paid lawn keepers guide elegant little mowers to shear all the growing green at just the right height.
In the House of Wood
I've come to the realization that people have forgotten what the role of government is supposed to be in our lives and allowed it to be the “end all, be all” of providing solutions. We've allowed the government to achieve the same level as God or King, including within the church.
Letter from Humane Society
To the Editor:When I began to volunteer with the Marion County Humane Society (MCHS) nearly three years ago, I had little knowledge of the amount of time, effort and financial support that goes into caring for shelter animals. To say the least, my eyes have been opened after volunteering for a year, and then serving as the Assistant Director of MCHS for nearly two years.
- Slices of Life: The Gift of remembering Today I worked outside in the yard. Tending the gardens. Raking. Planting. Pulling weeds. Taking inventory -- lilies, hostas, poppies. And rhubarb. The large, elephant-eared leaves growing atop the crisp red stalks triggered thoughts of my mom. The p
- Memorial Day A Memorial Day poem On this beautiful Memorial Day We humbly bow our heads To pay homage to our fighting men The living and the Dead. Let us also hold in reverence The wives and mothers too, Who gave a husband or a son To die for me and you. Gre
- More Opinion Headlines
- Letter to the Editor: Enforce beautification ordinances