There are about six people on my Facebook friends list who have done this “30 Days of Thankfulness” challenge. So, each day, when I check my Facebook, there they are.
I really don’t know if I could come up with something new to be thankful for every day for 30 days. So I think I’ll attempt it right here, right now. These are just as they pop into my head as I’m writing this and not all of them are ranked as far as importance.
1. My beautiful wife.
2. My job.
3. My nieces and nephews.
4. The rest of my family. (This includes my cat.)
5. My friends
6. The fact that I’m an American.
7. The fact that I’m not a liberal.
8. Cold Beer.
9. Our military and veterans.
10. God, who’s the reason I have any other blessings to be thankful for.
11. The films of Mel Brooks.
12. Oxygen. Kind of an important one.
14. My car.
15. My home.
16. My recliner.
17. Barbecue grills.
18. The fact that I’m an Iowan and there are a lot of friendly people here.
19. Good TV shows.
21. Remote control, so that I can flip away from bad TV shows.
23. Plants, because they make Marcy happy.
24. My mother-in-law’s pancakes.
25. My health.
26. The health of everyone I care about.
27. The strength to get through tough times.
28. Government, because without them, what could I have to complain about?
29. My coworkers, so that I don’t have to do everything myself.
30. Freedom, in whatever way I can apply it to my existence.
So there you have it. I was able to come up with this 30-item list in about 15 minutes. Chances are, if I gave it some real thought, I could fill this page with the numerous blessings and other reasons for which I should be thankful today.
Most of all, I am thankful that you take the time to enjoy my work each week, read this column and share your comments.
Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving. Take care of yourself and thank you for reading.